Tuesday, March 15, 2011

On The Market: The First 24 Hours


The sign is up!!! Our house is officially on the market! Whew. And, my goal is to do a blog post every day or so to chronicle this event. The event of having a house on the market with four children under the age of five who can't help but make a mess of everything. I want to do this mainly to document a pretty big even in our lives (moving to Minneapolis!) and to pretty much ensure that we never get the bright idea to move just for the H-E-L-L of it. If ya know what I mean! So, maybe Robert can rest assured that I will never want to move locally just to have a different house?? I'm thinking YES!
The past two weeks we have been working like mad to get this house ready to list. Touching up paint, clearing out closets, having little odd jobs done, etc. Not my idea of fun. And, have I ever mentioned that I am NOT a renovation, fixer-upper type of person? Well, I'm not. Just for the record. Just having little jobs around the house done was enough to drive me bonkers. I imagine that we will always buy a "move-in" ready house.
We actually had two showings of our house before it was even listed, but no offer. :( Today is the realtor walk-through and then I imagine the fun begins!! The phone calls to show the house, me frantically picking things up and throwing the kids in the car (along with all the random things that need to be out of the house to show it- laundry, baby swing, etc...) We'll see how long my perfectionism lasts. My guess is after a few weeks I start to not really care a whole lot and just let 'em show it like it is!!
Oh, and have I mentioned Lent??? Well, it's throwing this whole thing for a loop. Robert gave up meat, the boys gave up fast food and I gave up icecream and cookies. The problem with all of this?? Well, if we're not eating meat we're eating a boat load of fish. Fish stinks to high heaven when you cook it!! Not ideal for a house on the market. Who wants to buy a house that smells like last night's salmon?!? Where do I take the kids to get out of the house quickly for it to show??? Not McDonald's Playland or Chick-fil-a. And, my whole no icecream and cookies thing? Well, that lasted a whopping two days. Sorry. My rationale? If I'm having to give up meat AND fast food (not that I love eating it, but I love the convenience factor for the kids!) then I'm just not going to give up the pleasure of my bowl of icecream and cookies that I enjoy every evening. The only thing worse would be taking away my diet coke!!
But anyway, fingers crossed this house sells quickly and my sanity survives the process. It'll certainly be an adventure...

No comments: