Patrick playing in the big potty at the race expo
Marshall and Daddy testing out the big pottyWell, IT is finally over!!! By IT I mean the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon. Back in the fall, shortly after Graham was born, I set the goal of running The Pig 1/2 Marathon on May 3,2009. I had many people support me and I also had those that recommended I do the 10K instead, as the half was a huge commitment, both physically and in time. Well, I took all the advice I was given and trained for the half. I joined the Bob Roncker's Running Spot training group and started running with hundreds of other runners every Tuesday evening and Saturday morning. We ran in ice, below zero windchills, snow, rain and every other weather situation imaginable! It was an absolutely amazing experience and I met some really fanstatic people that I hope to continue to run with. Training for this race really made me respect and appreciate what I am capable of, mentally and physically. I think the hardest thing to overcome was the mental aspect! Sometimes it's hard to wrap your brain around the fact that you ran 17 miles. (The longest run I've done to date. Totally by accident, as me and two other runners got lost on our route!) I also must thank Robert, and thank him A LOT! He stayed home with the boys on those long Saturday mornings while I was out running around town (literally.) And, all the boys tolerated me after our longer runs when I was tired and crabby. And, yes, I do admit that I become slightly irritable when worn down. (Some ie. Robert would probably argue that I become EXTREMELY irritable, but oh well.) But, the big day is over now and I am pondering what my next running goal will be. The full Pig next year (or the Whole Hog as they call it!) or the half again? Working and coaching with Girls on the Run? Who knows! I'm sure I will enjoy whatever I decide to do and the boys will, too. They seemed to have a lot of fun coming to watch Momma cross the finish line at The Pig. Nonny and GanGan were in town for a visit which made the logistics of getting all three boys downtown possible. Patrick, Marshall and Graham had a super fun weekend with Nonny, GanGan and the Pig!




No comments:
Post a Comment