Monday, September 27, 2010

The Wrath of the Breastfeeding Gods

Thursday night I had my first (and hopefully last!) run in with mastitis. Oh. My. Gosh. It was MISERABLE. Thursday night at dinner I all of the sudden started to feel really cold and achy. My temp was just under 100 degrees. I assumed I was coming down with something and figured I'd head to bed early and be just fine. Not so. Within a few hours my fever sky rocketed to over 103 degrees. I was feeling BAD! I was covered in goose bumps, shaking and could not get warm. All I could think about was missing Marshall's field trip the next morning and what were we going to do when all six of us got this nasty bug. I was also worried that I might have an infection from the Adiana tubal ligation procedure I had last Monday. (More on that in another post!) Well, early Friday morning I figured out what was going on. When I woke up I had ALL the classic mastitis symptoms. I immediately called my OB and the nurse immediately called in two prescriptions. I'm on antibiotics four times per day for about two weeks. The really fun part of all of all of this is that Robert woke up early Friday morning with vertigo! So, two parents down and four children under the age of five. Not a good combo. I took enough ibuprofen to function so I could go on the field trip and Robert was well enough by late morning to watch Bella Grace. I put in a call of desperation to one of our baby sitters and she came over for the afternoon so I could sleep. I really thought I wasn't going to make it. I just couldn't stop shivering and my fever was not breaking. But, by Saturday afternoon I was feeling better. There's still a lot of pain where the infection and clogged milk duct are, but it's getting better. So, dear breastfeeding gods, PLEASE let this be my first and only run in with mastitis. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!

No comments: