Monday, May 10, 2010

A Slumber Party of Sorts

Saturday night Marshall and I headed to our special slumber party at Cincinnati Children's Hospital! He was SO excited to go, and I was looking forward to some one-on-one time with my Marsh Man. :)

We arrived around 6pm, got all checked in and basically just hung out until bed time when they started the sleep study. Marshall was in heaven! He got to order room service- a grilled cheese and fresh fruit, watch whatever he wanted on the big TV AND actually be in charge of the remote control! I owe a special apology to the nurses station, as he accidentally pressed the call button like a thousand times.
Marshall made many friends throughout the evening. We all know how social Marshy is, and well, I think every person on the unit knew who he was within an hour or so of being there! He was more than happy to talk to everyone and tell them just about anything they could ever want to know. Robert always says he is in NO way surprised by this and that he knows EXACTLY where Marshall get it's from. And, yeah, I'll admit it. I can pretty much make friends with and talk to a rock. I just hope Marshy can control his chatty-Cathiness enough when he's young to not get his name on the chalkboard in preschool and kindergarten like mommy! :)

At about 830pm the RT's came in to get Marshall all hooked up. They had warned me that he might not like this part, but at least if he fussed he would wear himself out quicker. Well, not my Marshy. He LOVED every minute of being hooked up to a million and one wires!! He laughed, talked and told them exactly where to put each 'sticker.' He didn't even care when they put his 'cat whiskers' on his face!!
Once he was all wired up he got to hang out in the climber crib (yeah, the one that he told them within 5 seconds was for babies, not big boys, and that he was a big boy!) He pretty much chilled in his fancy bed watching TV (the fish aquarium and nature scenes with music were a big hit for some reason!) until he FINALLY started to get sleepy around 11pm.

Once Marshall finally fell asleep I could get 'comfy' (not really!) on the pull out chair. However, it didn't last long. About 30 minutes after falling asleep Marshall had pulled out his mouth/nose sensors and had to be reconnected. We had around couple of hours after this. Marshall was NOT happy to be bothered and decided he not only didn't want his whiskers, but he didn't want any of the wires anymore! It took an hour or so and we finally had Marshy settled back down and sleeping.
At about 6am they came back in to disconnect Marshall and let us go home. Marshy was one sleepy head! I think staying up until after midnight had taken it's toll. But, we were discharged and home by 7am to eat pancakes and sausage with our brothers!
We should have our results in a couple of weeks. They really did the study to see if there is anything more to Marshall's snoring, mouth breathing and gasping that he does occasionally at night. If anything, they think he might need his adenoids removed. So, we'll see! But, as usual, it was a great experience at Children's. Marshall enjoyed being there and told his brothers all about it!




No comments: