Friday, January 29, 2010

I'm Officially Off the Ballot

Guess what?!? We had a 'Marshall Moment' today! And, I am officially out of the running for Mother of the Year. I hear that loosing one of your children in public pretty much scratches your name off the ballot. So here's what happened...

We (myself and the 3 boys) were waiting for the elevator that's in the lobby of the gym. When the elevator doors opened Marshall walked in first and I started to push the stroller in while holding Patrick's hand. Well, the doors shut before I could get in! I frantically pushed the call button like a thousand times thinking that the doors would open again. They didn't. I told the girl at the front desk of the gym that Marshall was in the elevator alone. She looked up (there's kind of an open lobby that you can see the lobbies of the other floors) and told me he had gone up. She ran out and up the stairs to get to Marshall while I stayed at the elevator just in case Marshall came back down. But, it was taking too long. Another employee came and stayed with Patrick and Graham while I rushed up the stairs. We found Marshy!!! Yay!!! He was happy as ever talking about how he went on a ride in the elevator. Great. Shouldn't he have been at least a little shaken up by the whole thing?? Maybe as a deterrent to riding an elevator alone and getting off of it on a different floor ALONE?!? Nope. Not my Marshy. Pretty darn proud of himself and grinning ear to ear. So, we had to have a little talk about what to do if you are ever in an elevator alone or get stuck in an elevator or get separated from mommy or daddy. Whew. And I thought my work out raised my heart rate!!! Not nearly as high as briefly loosing my child. But, we were all okay and we had a great teaching moment as a result. The boys talked about it ALL DAY LONG.


Fast forward to dinner. Robert came home from work and we were sitting down to eat dinner. Just seconds into our meal, Patrick blurts out that Marshall got stuck in an elevator today. Thanks, buddy!! Then, Marshall starts talking about the whole incident, too. Great. Robert looks at me kind of confused, and asks what happened. I explained the whole event and also that I was in no way going to not tell him. I just kind of forgot about it, to be honest. But, note to self- always remember to tell important events myself, before the boys blurt it out!

No comments: