Trimming the figurative fat...something that I've been thinking of working on and recently decided that the beginning of the year is probably the best time to start! By figurative fat I mean all the unnecessary aspects of my life that are not productive and/or healthy (emotionally and physically) or that cause a lot of waste. Any kind of waste. Emotional waste, monetary waste, energy waste, etc...This is something I have even discussed with my therapist about doing and basically, in therapy speak, it seems to be referred to at setting boundaries. But, I'll be honest, I prefer the phrase 'trimming the figurative fat.' It's a lot more fun!
The first trimming I have done actually started this past summer. I decided to get closer to my roots- my hair roots, that is! I have gradually gone darker with my hair color and I am currently pretty much at my natural color. I like it! My hair is TONS healthier, my calendar is not booked for an entire afternoon every 6 weeks and my checking account is quite a bit heftier. Wow!
Some other trimming I am working on runs the whole gamut. I have cleaned up my Facebook page and no longer hear from all sorts of random 'friends' what they are doing at any given moment in the day. This saves me time checking my email and keeps my Blackberry from sounding like a ticking time bomb! I've also started to eliminate some unnecessary ties on Facebok, too. Because, quite frankly, it's not important for all people on my page have an open window into my life just because I knew them once upon a time. I am also working on eliminating the non-essential household chores I tend to create for myself. So, my baseboards might just be a little scuffed for a while. I'll eventually get around to touching them up, but probably not like every week! I have also begun to eliminate/limit interactions with people and/or things that are not a positive influence. I know that you can't just do something or be friends with someone when the gettin's good, so to speak, but when something or someone becomes a constant downer it just might be time to step back for a while. This will free up my time and energy to focus on the MANY wonderful aspects of my life!
So, here's to trimming the fat!! What a great relief and positive way for me to begin a new year. :)


No comments:
Post a Comment